Asus has finally launched a successor or rather 2 successors to their flagship ZenFone 6- The ZenFone 7 & 7 Pro. The feature that set ZenFone 6 apart from the other flagships of 2019 was the unique camera implementation on the device. The ZenFone 6 had a full-screen display with no notch or pop-up cameras on it. Rather, it had a swivel camera, meaning that the dual cameras at the back of the phone could rotate to the front and act like a front camera. Asus has implemented the same camera technology on their new flagships and claims to make the swivel mechanism much better.
Asus has launched the ZenFone 7 series to fill the gap for its latest flagship offering. Earlier this year, Asus also launched the ROG Phone 3, a gaming centered device with top-of-the-line features. Although the ROG phone is a great performer, it’s kind of an overkill for an average user who just wants to use a device for normal smartphone tasks. Asus has done a good job of launching the Zenfone 7 series for these users.
Let’s take a look at what these new flagship devices have to offer.
- Display: Both Zenfone 7 & 7 Pro have a 6.67-inch FHD AMOLED display with a resolution of 2400 x 1080 pixels. Asus boasted a response time of 1 ms for these displays. These displays can reach the maximum brightness of 700 nits. They also support the HDR10 +. Asus has thankfully provided a 90Hz display with a 200Hz touch sampling rate. The displays are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
- Processor: The Zenfone 7 Pro is powered by Snapdragon 865 Plus chipset. It’s the same chipset that powers the ROG Phone 3. The Zenfone 7 houses the Snapdragon 865 SoC. Both phones are 5G capable.
- RAM: The Zenfone 7 comes in two RAM variants-6 GB and 8 GB, while the 7 Pro comes in a single 8 GB RAM variant. The RAM on both phones are based on the latest LPDDR5 standard.
- Storage: The Zenfone 7 Pro supports 256 GB of fast UFS 3.1 onboard storage while the Zenfone 7 supports 128 GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
- Rear Camera: On the camera front these two devices are identical. They feature a 64MP, f/1.8 main camera with Sony’s IMX686 sensor, an 8MP telephoto sensor with 3x optical zoom and up to 12x digital zoom (The telephoto sensor on the 7 Pro also flaunts 4-axis OIS), an ultra-wide 12MP, f/2.2 camera with Sony’s IMX 363 sensor.
- Front Camera: These devices have no front camera, as the back camera can rotate to serve as a front camera module.
- Battery:Both phones pack a 5,000 mAh battery. Fortunately both phones support 30W fast charging, and the fast chargers are bundled into the box. Asus says these devices can reach 0-60 per cent in 34 minutes and 60-100 per cent in 1 hr. 30 minutes.
- Speakers: The ZenFone 7 and the 7 Pro are equipped with stereo speakers.
- Android Version: Both phones run the latest Android 10 with ZenUI 7 on top.
- I can’t stress this feature enough- Swivel cameras are a highlight feature for both of these phones. Asus claims that they have upgraded the stepper motor that rotates the camera module to make it more durable and faster.
- The cameras are capable of shooting 8 K videos at 30 fps and 4 K videos at 30/60 fps. Unfortunately , you can’t shoot those 960 fps slow motion videos with these cameras, but you can get up to 480fps slow-mo at 720p resolution and 240fps slow-mo at 1080p resolution.
- The cameras support a number of pro or manual modes, such as AutoFocus lock, Motion Tracking, etc.
- Both ZenFone 7 and 7 Pro have dedicated microSD card slots that are rarely found on flagship smartphones. Also, both SIMs on these devices are 5G capable.
- Speaking of rare features to find, sadly we don’t have a headphone jack on these devices.
- These phones also get the new WiFi 6 (802.11a / b / g / n / ac / ax) and Bluetooth 5.1 support.
- We don’t have an on-screen fingerprint sensor on these smartphones. Instead, these phones get a side-mounted fingerprint sensor. Also, the smart key used to launch or give commands to Google Assistant is mounted on the power button itself. The smart key will be activated by a long touch on the power button.
- The battery supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0, so any certified charger for this standard will charge these devices faster.
- The phones are on the heavier side. Both weigh 230 g, which is just 10 g short from the ROG Phone 3. Considering that phones don’t have a really massive battery like the Samsung Galaxy M31, these phones are quite heavy compared to other flagships.
- The ZenUI 7 that runs on these phones is nearly closer to stock Android experience, which is a good thing.
- Asus ZenFone 7 and ZenFone 7 Pro come in two colours: Pastel White, Aurora Black
Pricing & Availability
The ZenFone 7 starts at 21,999 NTD (About 750 USD or Rs.56,000 INR).
The ZenFone 7 Pro starts at 27,990 NTD (About 950 USD or Rs.71,000 INR).
Both phones are now available in Taiwan and will be launched in Europe on 1 September. The official release dates to other markets could be announced shortly.